CFHS Band Family:
There are many students with outstanding paperwork that needs to be turned in as soon as possible. Please be sure that you have taken care of the following items before Saturday
morning. If you don't know if you have turned in your pink and green paperwork, check the music hallway for a list of student IDs with missing forms.
1. Make sure you registered for CFHS activities and paid your activity fee:
2. Complete and return the PINK travel permission slip/medical form. Extra copies are on the band office door or can be printed at home from the website.
3. Complete and return the GREEN marching band fee. The money can be returned at your convenience, but we at least need the form! Extra copies are on the band office door or
can be printed at home from the website.
Thank you for your attention to this matter and for promptly returning these completed forms.
Thank you to our parents who have already volunteered to chaperone the overnight. We'd be happy to have a few more join us - just email Ren if you are interested and willing in providing a safe experience for our students!
Overnight Chaperone Details/Information
Overnight Food Donations (a few things still needed)
In case you forgot to get your clothing order turned in, you have until FRIDAY - then the orders go in! You can order by printing the order form and bringing a check to school or you can call the shop directly and pay by credit card. You can also grab an order form off the band office door.
Click here for clothing order form. (The shirts are RED, they just look pink on the picture.)
Good evening CFHS Band Fam:
I'm excited for our second week of camp, and to finish learning the great show the students have started. Hard to believe that our summer rehearsals are already half over!
Information on two important events this week have been added to the Itineraries page on the website. You can always find the link to this information by looking under the "Parents" tab on the website, or by visiting this link: www.cfhsbands.org/itineraries
First, the Ice Cream Social on Wednesday takes place right at the end of rehearsal. We would love to have a bunch of family and friends swing by and see what we have been working on. After we run the show at 5pm, join us in the cafeteria for ice cream where you will also be able to volunteer for the different roles we need parent help with!
Second, the band overnight is on Friday - you will find information on the Itineraries page, and your section leaders will be talking about it this week as well. This is our end-of-camp lock-in that takes place right after the football game on Friday. We still need parent chaperones to help out with this event. If you would be willing to spend the night with us in the gym, please email Mr. Renneke. Without parent volunteers this event cannot take place.
Speaking of the game, the band will be playing pre-game music and performing at half-time during the football game this Friday. Should be a great evening!
We are excited to be working with A to Z Embroidery to offer you a variety of ways to support the Marching Cardinals on the road! We'd love to have a sea of supportive parents and friends as we compete this season looking good in some new Marching Cardinals season swag.
You can fill out an order form for a variety of items by printing the image below, or grab a paper copy on the band office door. Orders are due Wednesday, August 22.
We have about a dozen uniforms left that need to be washed. If you can help, please get in touch with Mr. Renneke.
Finally, remember that parade details for this Saturday's parade can be found on the Itineraries page under the PARENTS tab at the top of the website.
We are looking for a few GREAT parents to help us out at our annual Marching Cardinals overnight/lock-in.
On Friday, August 24 after the football game we will be having our marching band overnight. We spend the night sleeping in the gym and it is a ton of fun! We have movies going in the auditorium, games in the cafeteria, snacks and food, frisbee on Dorais Field, and I've even heard rumors about some swing dancing...
We are asking for some parent volunteers to spend the night with us in the gym. Boys sleep on one side of the gym, and girls sleep on the other - we have a friendly line of parents down the middle. Your other "duties" would involve general supervision, helping with food, and hanging out with some pretty awesome teenagers.
If you are willing to camp out with us, please email Mr. Renneke. When we wake up on Saturday morning we eat breakfast, clean-up, and ship out. Thanks for considering!
Good evening CFHS Band Family!
I think that Band Camp Eve is one of my favorite "holidays" of the year. Looking forward to kicking things off with everyone tomorrow morning at 9am!
We are looking for a very specific volunteer - our semi driver! Darrin Krebs who has been amazing and our driver for the past few (many??) seasons isn't able to drive for us this year. We are looking for someone to volunteer their time and their truck to pull our equipment trailer to competitions. If you know someone (or a few people who want to split the work) please have them get in touch with me. We are able to cover fuel costs.
Thanks for helping spread the word!
The Marching Cardinals have been rehearsing all summer long on Wednesday nights, and now it is time to get the whole band together! We are so excited to kick-off our 2018 August band camps! This post has some information and reminders for both new and returning students.
When & Where
Rehearsal starts every day at 9:00am. You should stop by the band room for any instructions, drop off your lunch/cases/sun screen, and then head out to Dorais Field (football field). We rehearse from 9am-12pm, and then from 1pm-5pm. During the hour lunch break you can stay on campus and eat (if you bring a lunch) or leave and pick something up at home/Jimmy Johns/etc.
What to Bring
How the Day Looks
This is an example of what we might do during rehearsal. This is meant to give you an idea, not to represent our actual plan.
9:00am Meet on Dorais, stretch and warm-up
9:30am Basics block, working on fundamentals, marching technique
10:30am Learning drill, cleaning drill we have already learned
12:00pm Break for lunch
1:00pm Meet in sectionals to work on music, memorization
2:00pm Together in large groups, working on music, adding music to the drill
What am I forgetting?
Is your travel permission slip/medical information filled out?
Did you pay your band fee?
Did you attend the code meeting or watch the code video?
Did you complete your Activities Office registration and $20 fee?
Did you work on memorizing the music over the summer?
Did you sign up for text message reminders for important updates?
CFHS Band Fam:
1. Just a reminder about the Activity Code Meeting tonight at 6:30pm in the high school auditorium. If you have not attend the code meeting before, you will need to attend tonight. You only need to attend it once during high school. If you are not able to attend the code meeting tonight, you can follow these steps online to take care of this. Any questions about this process should be directed to the high school activities office.
2. You can pay your $20 Activity Fee tonight at the code meeting. This is a separate fee collected by the high school activities office and is not something that the band director collects.
3. There is no formal band "team meeting" tonight at 7:15pm, but Mr. Renneke will be in the band room if you want to stop by and have questions.
Good morning CFHS band family!
Our Wednesday rehearsals are officially over and band camp is a little over a week away! Two quick updates for you:
1. The Activity Code meeting on Monday, July 30 at 6:30pm is required for all students/families who have not attended a code presentation before. On this same evening you can pay the $20 activity fee, which is separate from the band fee and is handled exclusively through the main office. It is not a fee that the band directors collect, or have anything to do with.
2. There will be no "team meeting" for marching band on Monday, July 30. The schedule for the evening has the large group Activity Code presentation at 6:30pm, followed by team meetings for fall sports at 7:15pm. Because many students are also involved in fall sports and band, it creates a time crunch every year where we end up doing our "team meeting" twice and staying way later than anyone wants to stay. Because everything we would have shared is already on the website, and the website is full of the information and videos that we would have talked about a team meeting, we are not having a team meeting on Monday, July 30.
I should add, however, that I will be in the band room at 7:15pm for a little while if you have any questions. Stop down and see me. I will be cleaning off my desk! There might be some amazing upperclassmen who decide to stop by as well (cough please cough).
Let me know if you have questions!
Good morning CFHS Band Family,
We had another INCREDIBLE rehearsal on Wednesday this week. We learned the first part of a new stretching routine and played through the entire opener. The color guard has already started learning the beginning of their choreography and it looked great! The guard is setting the standard right now for how to work during rehearsal.
Thanks to the students and families who have been able to attend these evening rehearsals. I have to share something with you all; Mr. Olson and I were talking about the band this year and we have NEVER had a class of incoming freshmen be either as strong or as dedicated as this current group. Our 9th and 10th grade students are setting the bar high! Upperclassmen need to make sure they have their music memorized by the first day of camp or you are going to feel pretty foolish. Freshmen - keep it up!
We use the "Remind" app to communicate with band families via text message. You can read more about it and sign up for these text reminders by visiting our website: http://www.cfhsbands.org/remind
The messages will be especially helpful this fall when we send out updates about return times from competitions to help you better time your student pick-up.
If you haven't made it to a Wednesday rehearsal, please get these rehearsals on your calendar. Next week we will start working on the 2nd movement, the ballad! Lastly, if you haven't received the packet that was mailed home in May, or if you haven't been in touch yet with an returning band member (like an older student or a section leader) please let me know so I can make sure you get connected!
This blog is intended to serve as a collection of announcements and information for current students and their families.