The Marching Cardinals have been rehearsing all summer long on Wednesday nights, and now it is time to get the whole band together! We are so excited to kick-off our 2018 August band camps! This post has some information and reminders for both new and returning students.
When & Where
Rehearsal starts every day at 9:00am. You should stop by the band room for any instructions, drop off your lunch/cases/sun screen, and then head out to Dorais Field (football field). We rehearse from 9am-12pm, and then from 1pm-5pm. During the hour lunch break you can stay on campus and eat (if you bring a lunch) or leave and pick something up at home/Jimmy Johns/etc.
What to Bring
How the Day Looks
This is an example of what we might do during rehearsal. This is meant to give you an idea, not to represent our actual plan.
9:00am Meet on Dorais, stretch and warm-up
9:30am Basics block, working on fundamentals, marching technique
10:30am Learning drill, cleaning drill we have already learned
12:00pm Break for lunch
1:00pm Meet in sectionals to work on music, memorization
2:00pm Together in large groups, working on music, adding music to the drill
What am I forgetting?
Is your travel permission slip/medical information filled out?
Did you pay your band fee?
Did you attend the code meeting or watch the code video?
Did you complete your Activities Office registration and $20 fee?
Did you work on memorizing the music over the summer?
Did you sign up for text message reminders for important updates?
CFHS Band Fam:
1. Just a reminder about the Activity Code Meeting tonight at 6:30pm in the high school auditorium. If you have not attend the code meeting before, you will need to attend tonight. You only need to attend it once during high school. If you are not able to attend the code meeting tonight, you can follow these steps online to take care of this. Any questions about this process should be directed to the high school activities office.
2. You can pay your $20 Activity Fee tonight at the code meeting. This is a separate fee collected by the high school activities office and is not something that the band director collects.
3. There is no formal band "team meeting" tonight at 7:15pm, but Mr. Renneke will be in the band room if you want to stop by and have questions.
Good morning CFHS band family!
Our Wednesday rehearsals are officially over and band camp is a little over a week away! Two quick updates for you:
1. The Activity Code meeting on Monday, July 30 at 6:30pm is required for all students/families who have not attended a code presentation before. On this same evening you can pay the $20 activity fee, which is separate from the band fee and is handled exclusively through the main office. It is not a fee that the band directors collect, or have anything to do with.
2. There will be no "team meeting" for marching band on Monday, July 30. The schedule for the evening has the large group Activity Code presentation at 6:30pm, followed by team meetings for fall sports at 7:15pm. Because many students are also involved in fall sports and band, it creates a time crunch every year where we end up doing our "team meeting" twice and staying way later than anyone wants to stay. Because everything we would have shared is already on the website, and the website is full of the information and videos that we would have talked about a team meeting, we are not having a team meeting on Monday, July 30.
I should add, however, that I will be in the band room at 7:15pm for a little while if you have any questions. Stop down and see me. I will be cleaning off my desk! There might be some amazing upperclassmen who decide to stop by as well (cough please cough).
Let me know if you have questions!
Good morning CFHS Band Family!
It is pretty crazy to think that we are half-way through our summer Wednesday rehearsals! The students who have been able to make it have been putting in some great effort and helping to make our upcoming season one for the history books.
This is a reminder that there is NO Wednesday rehearsal on July 4. I hope you can spend some time with family and friends this week!
The scheduled rehearsal for Wednesday, July 11 is also going to be changed - the high school music department will all be in New Orleans doing some research and exploring for our spring Music Department Performance Tour. I'll share more details later this week with what July 11 will look like.
I will be out-of-town from today, July 1 until Thursday, July 5. I know that a few of you have emails that I haven't replied to yet - I will get to them as quickly as possible.
This blog is intended to serve as a collection of announcements and information for current students and their families.